Ms. Karuna Gopal
Smart Cities Advisor, Leader & Key Note Speaker President - Foundation for Futuristic Cities
IVLP Fellow (US Department of State) John F. Kennedy School of Government | Harvard University, USA
Karuna Gopal, is an Internationally acclaimed Thought Leader, Keynote Speaker and Advisor on Smart Cities. She is the Founder President of the Foundation for Futuristic Cities, a think tank that has influenced Urban Transformation in India for over a decade.
Ms. Gopal contributed to the design of the ‘100 Smart Cities Mission‘ of India and has been invited to speak at the launch of the Mission by the Prime Minister. Her innovation SCULPT your CITY has shaped the Mission guidelines and has been declared a National Best Practice. Governments of Singapore, Sweden, UK, Philippines, UAE, Turkey, Israel, and the USA have invited her for inputs on Smart Governance.
In the past, she served as an Urban Expert for The WORLD BANK, DFID (Department for International Development, UK), USAID (United States Agency for International Development) & ADB (Asian Development Bank).
In 2015, Ms. Gopal was a senior advisor to the Union Ministry for Housing and Urban Affairs on behalf of Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. She was also one of the urban experts to have carried out a mid-course evaluation of the National Mission Program ‘Clean India – Swacch Bharat Abhiyan on behalf of the Asian Development Bank (ADB).
In 2010 as a member of the Chief Minister's Advisory Council of Andhra Pradesh (erstwhile united Andhra Pradesh) she was instrumental in forging a Sister State Partnership between Washington State (USA) and Andhra Pradesh. Ms. Gopal taught senior IAS officers at India’s Premier Academy, LBSNAA (Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration) Mussoorie, WBI (World Bank Institute) ISB (Indian School of Business), ASCI (Administrative Staff College of India) & CGG (Center for Good Governance).
She chaired conferences with Parliamentarians from UK and India in 2016 in London. Ms. Gopal was offered an ‘Eminent Member’ position at RICS (Royal Society for Chartered Surveyors), UK. Ms. Gopal has been Interviewed widely both by National and International Media like the ECONOMIST, Channel News Asia, The National, Khaleej Times, La Tribune, Eco-Business, National Geographic, and World Economic Forum etc.
Her articles have been incorporated into Parliamentary Documentation of Lok Sabha for their policy relevance. Ms. Gopal attended the Harvard Kennedy School of Government and also participated in IVLP (International Visitor Leadership Program) a flagship program of the US Government for Foreign Leaders. She was a member of the Speaker delegation on Smart Cities at COP21-UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change) PARIS 2015.
She chairs and addresses conferences around the world and is a special invitee to meetings of FII (Foreign Institutional Investors) exploring investments into India. Her current initiative SURGE (Smart Urbanization Reinventing Growth with Equity) is about transformative policies for ushering a NEW INDIA. Ms. Gopal has been inducted into BJP, (Bharatiya Janata Party) in 2014 and she hails from a family of freedom fighters and IAS officers.
- Jury, The CSR Journal Excellence Awards 2018
- International Jury at GSMA GLOMO Awards for Smart Cities, 2017, BARCELONA,
- International Jury, Intelligent Communities Forum (ICF), NEW YORK
- Jury at India Smart Grid Forum (ISGF) Innovation Awards 2017 (PPP initiative of Ministry of Power, Govt of India)
- Council Member of GLG (Gerson Lehrman Group) New York,
- Mentor, Technology Entrepreneurship Programme (TEP), Indian School of Business (ISB)
- Mentor Tech Fest, IIT Bombay
- Member, General Assembly, Association of Infrastructure Industry India (AIII)
- Eminent Member (MRICS), Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors London, UK
- SCULPT your CITY
- CORPORATES for CITIES
- India Infrastructure Dialogue Series
- Women & Employability Roundtables
- Smart Cities & Inclusion Roundtables
- Smart Procurement Framework
Major Awards & Achievements
Her achievements and national/international participation list are so long. She has attended hundreds of national/international level programs as Keynote Speaker.
- DEVI AWARD for ‘Dynamism & Innovation’ 2015 presented by The Sunday Standard, New Indian Express Group
- CHANAKYA AWARD for Visionary Leadership – Presented by Public Relations Council of India
- MAHILA RATNA Award at Madras Music Academy, Chennai
- The Most Impactful SMART CITIES LEADER – World HRD Congress
- The most talented GREEN LEADER AWARD for demonstrating exemplary leadership in Sustainability for Social Change.
- Honored for Eminent Leadership & Achievements (by Shri Bandaru Dattatreya, Hon’ble Union Minister), Union Ministry of Labour & Employment, 2015
- WOMAN INNOVATOR AWARD - Passionate Foundation
- Woman Leader at TANA (May 2013) ATA, NATA (May 2012) at Dallas, Atlanta, and Houston
- Adjudged top 5 Woman Leaders of India - LEAD INDIA Campaign of Times of India 2007
- IVLP Fellow (International Visitor Leadership Program of US Dept of State) 2011
- Rotary GSE Scholar to USA, 1991