Kanpur, India (Urban Transport News): The Uttar Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation Ltd (UPMRC) has started installation work of Machinery & Plants (M&P) in Polytechnic depot to welcome the new Metro Trains to be supplied by Alstom Transport India.
According to plan, a total of seven major machines will be installed in the depot. Recently, UPMRC has installed Underfloor Pit Wheel Machine which is used to reprofile of wheels. The Under Floor Pit Wheel Machine has been manufactured and supplied by Mumbai-based Indian firm HYT Engineering Company Pvt. Ltd.
Due to continuously running of metro train on the track and using brakes, the wheels get unbalanced, therefore, wheels of the Trains needs to be brought back to the balanced state by using a Under Floor Pit Wheel Lathe Machine.
"The work of installing the 7 most important and largest machines of 'Depot Machinery ' in the Kanpur Metro Polytechnic Depot has started with the installation of ‘Fully Automatic CNC Under Floor Pit Wheel Lathe Machine’. Other major machines will also come by the end of this month, which will be installed in the depot itself", said an official statement issued by UPMRC.
The function of the remaining six machines which will be installed in depot soon are as under:-
1. Fully Automatic Synchronized Pit Jack Machine: This machine will be used for lifting and lowering of metro train coaches for maintenance in the workshop.
2. Fully Automatic Synchronized Mobile Jack: This machine will also used for lifting and lowering of metro train coaches for maintenance in the workshop as of Pit Jack Machine but can be moved from one place to another.
3. Bogie Turn Table: This machine will be used for shifting of bogies from one track to other track during maintennace.
4. Automatic Train Washing Plant: This mahine will be used for automatic washing of Metro coaches while the train enetr in depot from the mainline service.
5. Electric Bogie Shunter: This machin will be used for shunting of Metro trains from one track to another in Depot.
6. Re-railing & Rescue Vehicle: This machine will be used for making the derailed metro coaches back on the track.
The work has been progressing very fast on the Kanpur metro project. The construction work of Polytechnic depot is being carried out by Lucknow-based firm K.S.M. Bashir Mohd and Sons. The depot is being developed in 16.2 hectares area. The first train is expected to reach here by October this year.