Green Mobility Revolution: Delhi Govt launches 400 new electric buses ahead of G20 Summit

Mamta Shah Posted on: 2023-09-06 06:05:00 Viewer: 1,437 Comments: 0 Country: India City: New Delhi

Green Mobility Revolution: Delhi Govt launches 400 new electric buses ahead of G20 Summit

New Delhi, India (Urban Transport News): In a significant move towards sustainable and eco-friendly urban transportation, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and Lieutenant Governor VK Saxena jointly flagged off 400 new electric buses in Delhi today. With this addition, Delhi now proudly boasts a total of 800 electric buses, solidifying its position as the city with the highest number of electric buses in India.

The Delhi government has taken substantial steps to expand its electric bus fleet, with orders placed for a total of 1,500 electric buses. Notably, 921 of these buses have received subsidies under the FAME (Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of Hybrid and Electric Vehicles) scheme. The estimated operational cost for these 921 buses over 12 years is Rs 4,091 crores, with the central government providing Rs 417 crores as FAME subsidies, while the Delhi government is covering Rs 3,674 crores.

The remaining 579 buses will be fully procured and operated by the Delhi government, with 90 percent of the total cost being borne by the Delhi government and the remaining 10 percent covered by central government FAME subsidies.

Delhi's bus fleet now stands at an impressive 7,135 buses, including 4,088 buses under the Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) and 3,047 under DIMTS (Delhi Integrated Multi-Modal Transit System). Among these, 800 are electric buses, marking a significant milestone in the city's commitment to combat air pollution and reduce its carbon footprint.

The 800 electric buses are projected to save approximately 45,000 tons of CO2 emissions annually, contributing significantly to a greener and cleaner Delhi. Over their 12-year lifespan, these buses are estimated to save a total of 5.4 lakh tonnes of CO2 emissions.

Delhi has set ambitious goals for its electric bus fleet. By the end of 2023, the city aims to increase its electric bus fleet to 1,900, positioning itself as one of the global leaders in electric bus adoption. Looking ahead to 2025, Delhi plans to have a total of 10,480 buses, with 80 percent of the fleet, or 8,280 buses, being electric. This transition is expected to save 4.67 lakh tonnes of CO2 emissions annually, with a lifetime savings of 5.6 million tonnes over 12 years.

All Delhi buses are equipped with features designed to ensure passenger comfort and safety. They are accessible, affordable, sustainable, smart, and safe. These electric buses are low-floor and air-conditioned, making them accessible to all passengers. They offer free tickets for women passengers and are environmentally friendly, emitting zero smoke and noise. Additionally, they come equipped with digital ticketing, GPS, CCTV, panic buttons, and hooters, all connected to a two-way centralized command and control center.

To accommodate this massive electrification of the bus fleet, 70 depots are being electrified to accommodate over 8,000 electric buses by 2025. Currently, eight depots are fully electrified and operational, with others under development. The Delhi government has allocated more than Rs 1,500 crores for depot electrification, showcasing its unwavering commitment to sustainable urban transportation for the future.





Also Read




Leave Your Comment!









Recent Comments!

No comments found...!